Sunday, May 29, 2011

*Free* Gift

Picture, if you will, a tired mama.

I know for some of you this won't be hard to do. You may even get an image in your mind that looks something like your reflection.

This tired mama is in a bookstore. She has gone there to buy a book. A book that will solve all her problems - or at least all of her sleep-deprivation-baby-induced problems. There is a problem, though. As she picks up the book to purchase it she gets a sick feeling in her stomach and knows she shouldn't buy it. "What?! Why not?! I'm exhausted and I need to be able to sleep! I can't function on 3 or 4 hours a night!" this poor mama cries out in her mind. She still clenches the book and the sleep it represents. But once again, there is that feeling to NOT buy that book. Tears start to roll. Yes, this poor mama is crying in the middle of the baby book isle. To the average bookstore shopper this may be alarming, but anyone who takes the time to see what isle this mama is in knowingly nods their head. They understand she is exhausted. That she feels beyond-belief hopeless. And that she is too tired to care that she is in the middle of the bookstore crying her eyes out. "Fine!" this tired mama shouts in her head. "If I'm not suppose to buy this book, what is it I'm suppose to do?!" And there it is. A book that has nothing with how to put the baby to sleep, how to get the baby to stay asleep or even what pajamas to use to induce sleep. In fact, this book has very little to do with babies and is more about mommies. It is called The Balanced Mom. And this tired mama knows she should buy it.

So I did.

And it has truly helped me. I haven't even finished reading it - remember, the whole "balancing" theme here - but what I have read has helped me significantly and it got the ball rolling for me to think more about how I balance (or don't) my time, energy, talents, etc. which caused me to think about my health and happiness, about my physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well-being which eventually led to the creation of this blog. So, I guess when it comes down to it, that book helped encourage me to push a little harder to be the person I want to be and I want to give you that same gift. But like your mom probably warned you growing up, "Nothing in life is free" and "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". Moms are so smart. Because I'm not Oprah with the ability to give this book to every mom I know, I'll have to settle with giving away just one for now. So, this *free* gift requires a little effort on your part. Leave a comment letting me know you'd like a chance to read this book, and if you are so inclined, a simple mention on your blog about my blog of health and happiness. Either (or both) effort(s) will get your name on a little piece of paper that will go in a bowl to be drawn out on June 7. If you do mention this blog on your own blog make sure to let me know in your comment. The lucky winner will be announced on June 7.

**I'll add that the person that wrote this book understood the fact that moms are busy, tired and did I mention busy people. The book is written accordingly and is very easy (and fast) to read. The part that takes time is the inner reflection. A very good thing to do. I think it's safe to say your life will be better from reading this book. (And if you're not currently a mom, we'll negotiate on another gift.)

4 comments:

  1. Totally need this book. Even if I don't win it, it will definitely be on my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Megan. I need all the uplifting reading I can get! And of course your getting a special mention on my blog...however I can't guarantee many people will see it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tired Mom of two could use anything uplifting!

    ReplyDelete