Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Better Day

Today was a much better day than yesterday. It's a good thing too
because I was really at the end of my rope. I had even tied a knot in
that stupid rope to hang on longer which had slipped and I was down to
the last thread of that rope. Doom. I'm sure if you read my post you
noticed my sourness.

One of the major factors in today being a better day was that I had
someone listen to me last night and I was really able to express how I
felt and to be heard, really be heard. That someone was my best
friend, a.k.a. my husband. He has the same, or at least most of the
same, issues that were bothering me so it's not like he is unfamiliar
with the issues and the stress they cause. But regardless he chose to
listen to me, actively listen. And it felt wonderful to just spill my
guts and get the stress out of me. To "throw up" so to speak. Where
everything that's bothering me comes out. To cry my eyes out. To let
some of the steam from the pressure cooker of stress escape. Those
kind of sessions leave me feeling drained, yet good. Staying up until
1:00 a.m. to get rid of that stress might contrubute to the drained
feeling. But when I woke up this morning, inspite of only getting 4.5
hours of sleep, I felt refreshed, more refreshed than I've felt in a
long time. I even felt good about tackling the day.

These kind of sessions are so good for our health. They allow the
built up emotional, chemical, and physical stress to release. The key
to that all is finding someone who will listen. You can't release that
stress to the wind. It takes another person actively listening to
allow the emotions to come out. So my advice is when your rope is
thread-bare, find someone to listen. Talk to a family member, call a
friend, whatever. Get it all out. Throw it up. Release that tension
and pressure and feel drained, but better.

No comments:

Post a Comment