Friday, June 3, 2011

Follow Up on Interests

I know, I know. I normally give an update on my goal progress on Thursday. But, you see, I've been busy.

Busy reading a book that is.

So I guess I have been successful on working on my interests a little more. And the best part is... I didn't feel any guilt for spending time reading it because I was working on an interest of mine. Actually... now that I think of it... I did feel a small amount of guilt. That was when I was at a really good part of the book and the baby woke up from her nap and I kept on reading while she played until she gave me that "Mom, I know you're not paying attention to me" grunt and then I quit, feeling a little guilty. But for the most part, I didn't feel guilt. Hmm. Maybe not feeling guilty will be the emotional goal for next time.


So I've been reading. But that isn't all. I've done some entirely un-me things. Like drawing a cartoon. Which I got in my head one night when I laid down to go to sleep and could not get it out so I got back up to draw it out. Which was probably funnier to me than my family that I sent it to. But it was fun anyway. I also started that dreaded list - the one I refused to even have a conversation about in my head - the one where I list things I like to do and things I am good at. I haven't finished it. I need to focus some more on that. I also have read an article about finding your calling in life. It's really got me thinking. What am I suppose to do in this life? Just live it? No. I'm convinced we all have the capability of doing something amazing and generally speaking that amazing thing is accomplished when we make the world a better place. Like the people who live in my neighborhood and instead of just complaining that there weren't enough funds for a public library got together and created a "community" library where books are donated and the people that work there are simply volunteers. That is amazing. For so many reasons. I personally find it amazing this week because when I was tired of mothering within these four walls called an apartment I decided to take the baby for a walk and get a book and look how that has blessed my life this week. All because somebody wanted to make this world, even if their "world" was just a neighborhood, a better place. I want to be like that. But first I must figure out what amazing thing it is I'm suppose to do with my life. And before I can do that, I must know what I'm good at, what special talents and abilities I have that, when mixed with a little energy, can create something "synergistically" amazing. So finishing the aforementioned list is a must.

Whew! Are you tired from reading that long conversation I just had in my head (and unfortunately for you typed out) where I figured out I need to really understand myself better?! Yuck and Blah... sorry about all that. Okay... looks like there is a little more to this goal of mine than just doing some hobbies. And with that long-windedness I'm going to log off.

No comments:

Post a Comment