Saturday, June 11, 2011

Following up... finally

I'm late posting progress on the goal for this week because I have been spending a great deal of time since Thursday afternoon in bed due to a very sore back. I find it hard to pull a 6 month old out of the car seat buckled in the car lifting with my legs. In fact I find hit hard to lift her from various places lifting with my legs instead of my back. And this is the reason I have thrown my back out... twice now. I'm also starting to think there is a correlation between my strained back episodes and her growth spurts. So my back hurts. Pretty bad actually. The upside is I have been able to rest a great deal. And that is almost worth a sore back. Almost...okay, it probably is completely worth it. I was getting pretty exhausted and worse than that, impatient.

But that leaves me wondering...

Now that I'm a mom am I consigned to a fate of at least one thing that will always be in pain or trying? I'm exhausted and the break from that is a sore back? Once the back heals I'll be back to exhausted. Is this my life from here on out? Really, I need to know. Somebody, anybody with a child over one year: Can you tell me if it ends? Is this just life with a baby or is this life as a mom?

Okay, now that I've got that question out I'm sure you are all just utterly dying to find out how my goal for this week has gone. I understand it's not anything thrilling to read about my goal progress. But the fact of the matter is it keeps me accountable to know I have to write it on here on the offside chance someone is reading and keeping track of my progress. It really does help to have some accountability and I'm more than willing to be that person for you if you need. You don't even have to post a comment. You can send me an email or something.

Anyway... on to the word I looked up...

Foodie

I had wondered if this word described me but I had never gotten around to looking it up.  It's not so much that I love to eat food, although I do. It's more that I love knowing where my food came from and if possible growing it and making it all myself. I'm the type of person who will make their own ketchup. Not so much because it can taste better than the store bought... although that is important... but more for the fact that it can be done. I love not being dependant on others to grow my food, make my food, store my food. I love not being dependent on Wal-Mart. I love not being dependent on the need to have food shipped to me, no matter where I live in the world. I love being able to sustain life on my own. I love having locally grown, seasonal items that haven't been modified so they can withstand a shipment of 5 weeks and 4000 miles. I'd rather eat the orange that grew on a tree a few miles away that looks kind of ugly, greenish and not at all a perfect sphere than the genetically altered orange grown thousands of miles away that is made to withstand shipping and made to look like an "orange"... a bright, so-orange-it's-not-natural, perfectly round sphere that, unfortunately, tastes nothing like a real orange. 

Yes, this is one of my passions. But how do you describe all of that in a one word answer when someone asks you what your interests are? Hence why I came up with "cooking and baking" the other day when asked. So I was hoping "foodie" would describe it. And while it touches on some of it, I've discovered foodie is a new word for gourmet. Like when people use to be described such as "Oh, he's a gourmet." And that means it doesn't completely describe what it is that interests me. So I'm on the hunt for that word. If any of you see it... will you let me know? Thanks!


1 comment:

  1. I have 3 children over the age of 1 and 1 under the age of 1 and this is what I have decided about exhaustion...I get up by 6 every morning when I used to not be able to drag myself out of bed before 8. I go to bed by 11. I fall asleep within 30 seconds of laying my head down. However I seem to have more energy than I did when I only had one kid. Makes no sense to me but it is true. I also try really hard to nap once a week for a half hour. Makes a world of difference :)
    I love your word! I totally agree with you. I make everything from scratch. My kids won't eat chicken nuggets, french fries or anything fast food. Which is great-unless you are traveling in the car and you want to grab something fast.

    ReplyDelete