Monday, July 11, 2011

Spiritual Goal: To Be a Good Sister

Good morning world!

I was asked to give the lesson in Relief Society yesterday. For those
of you that don't know, Relief Society includes all the women (18 and
older) of my church and meets the third hour of church. But this isn't
all Relief Society is. It's a group of sisters that take care of one
another, look out for each other, have fun together, and are just
sisters, I suppose. It's the closest thing I have experienced to
having sisters since I grew up with only brothers.

Anyway, the lesson was on family responsibilities. I was actually so
happy to be asked to teach because I learn so much when I teach and
that was the case yesterday.

One thing we talked about was the responsibilities we have in our ward
family. We are given callings, things to do to help in the church, and
we are also assigned sisters to visit teach. This means I am assigned
sisters to visit with each month. The purpose of the visit is to
spiritually uplift the sister as well as check on her temporal and
emotional needs. Likewise, visiting teachers are assigned to me which
means I have two great sisters looking out for me. I love it when my
visiting teachers come for a visit or give me a call. So one would
think that I would return that favor to those I'm asked to visit. I'm
sad to say not so. I have not done a good job, especially since the
baby came, of visiting, or even calling my sisters. After the lesson
yesterday I decided that is something I would really like to improve.

So this week's goal is to do my part in being the kind of sister I
would want someone to be to me. It might not make sence how this will
improve my spiritual health, but I know it will.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I finally have internet in my new place, so I can read your blog again! As you know, it's not easy to visit sisters every month, but I'm sure they appreciate chatting for a few moments at church. Sorry we/I haven't been around but your post has made me resolve to do better! Looking forward to visiting you!

    ReplyDelete